Howard B. Levi
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 1982
- M.A. in History, Columbia University, 1979
- B.A., Columbia University, 1978, magna cum laude
- New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1994
Attorneys | Partners
Howard B. Levi
Howard Levi's practice is heavily concentrated in litigation relating to financial institutions, banking, creditors' rights, and distressed debt and bankruptcy. He has tried numerous federal, state and arbitration cases; argued innumerable appeals before federal and state appellate courts; and has achieved noteworthy results for clients by way of settlement and judgment.
Representative matters that Mr. Levi has litigated in his career include:
- Represented a bank in a four-week jury trial concerning the bank's commercially reasonable disposition of a borrower's collateral, resulting in a verdict in the bank's favor.
- Represented a litigation trust founded under a bankruptcy plan in recovering monies in an action against former officers and directors of the debtor, and in a suit to recover a fraudulent transfer, resulting in millions of dollars of recoveries for the creditors.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement in an action by a bank asserting a fraud claim against another financial institution arising out of losses incurred in connection with a fraud perpetrated by a borrower.
- Defended a broker-dealer against arbitration claims by an institutional customer alleging $25 million of damages resulting from the unsuitability of derivatives products, resulting in an award for the broker-dealer at the close of the claimant's case.
- Obtained a major recovery through settlement in a suit by a bank group seeking to recover against the guarantor of a bankrupt debtor's obligations.
Because of Mr. Levi's record of achievement for financial institutions, creditors, and other commercial litigation clients, several institutions have remained clients of his for more than 20 years.
Before founding LLF in 1994, Mr. Levi was, for nearly ten years, a partner and associate with Kornstein Veisz & Wexler, a New York commercial litigation boutique. Before joining the Kornstein firm, Mr. Levi was an associate at the New York firm of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, where he also practiced commercial litigation. He graduated magna cum laude from Columbia College; he holds a master's degree in history from Columbia; and he graduated from Columbia Law School. Mr. Levi is a former member of the Banking Law Committee and the Committee on State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction of the New York City Bar Association; is a current member of the Legal History Committee of the New York City Bar Association; and is a member of the New York State Bar Association Section on Commercial and Federal Litigation and the Federal Bar Council.
Back to Attorneys